Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

the greenhouse of the heart

People harvest only what they plant. 
Recently, my mom mentioned the verse Galations 6:7. It can be translated several ways, but essentially it speaks "Do not be deceived. God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." I focused on the last part and understand it to mean that people only harvest what they plant. 
 Think of your heart as a greenhouse.
And your heart, like a greenhouse, has to be managed. Weeded.
Consider your thoughts as seeds - some thoughts become flowers while others create weeds. If you focus on sowing seeds of hope, you will reap optimism. Sow seeds of doubt, and expect insecurity.
What kinds of seeds am I planting in my heart daily? It is so much easier to plant seeds of negativity and self-doubt as a woman, mother, daughter, wife, and friend. 
I must take the time to prune my garden, tend to my greenhouse, and weed daily so that I can plant the God seeds on the hearts of my children.
Thanks, mom, for making me think about that verse!

3 comments:

Holly said...

That's good stuff, ML. I love the part about sowing thoughts. I really needed to hear that today! Perhaps my mom was right when she said "fake it till you make it" I think there's a verse in the proverbs that goes something like that .... I should know it.

Katherine Ansley said...

Thanks Mary Liz. I love your blog and I hope you keep posting thoughts like this. It is so easy to be taken over by negativity and you are right-- I can really notice a difference in myself and others when I make a true effort to stay positive.
Thanks for the encouragement,
Katherine Cox Ansley

~April~ said...

I just hopped by to Say Hi Sunday! :-)
Followed you on GFC
http://ramblingandadventure.blogspot.com/