Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

visual aids

We are working on little Edward's sleep habits. He has had a stretch of 4 consecutive nights with sleep over 5 hours long. This is what all the books consider sleeping through the night. And what a glorious 4 nights it was... We know he has it in him and now it is our job to nurture him in to a consistent schedule. Since the first few weeks of his life, I have tracked his progress using my iphone. The app "total baby" has been my brain for the last three months. It tracks everything you need to know from when the last diaper was changed to which breast was last used for a feeding. I have loved it. The only thing I can't do with it is see trends on a larger scale. I am a HUGE visual person so I decided I had to make my own chart of Edward's sleep habits to get a true read on the situation.
I am pleased with how it turned out (obviously, or I wouldn't blog about it)! The shaded areas are when he is is asleep and the blue numbers is the amount of time slept. Check out that night he went for 6 hours and 45 minutes!! As you can see from the first picture, there is absolutely no pattern to our naps or night sleep. I was actually surprised by this.
I look forward to charting his progress as we attempt to commence some sort of schedule.
Creating the chart made me miss school! I always loved creating the things I would use to study from which inevitably took much longer than it should have. I always drew elaborate pictures, created posters, or would consolidate all of my notes in to binders - anything to waste a little bit more time!
... but I literally just said to Edward, "I miss school." He responded with a look of confusion.

2 comments:

CaseyWiegand said...

ML that is awesome! I remember thinking that Aiden had no nap schedule then one day he just made one on his own! Now he is like a little nap clock! On the dot!

Jordan said...

Hang in there. He'll get on a schedule soon. But then as soon as you're/he's good with 3 solid naps, he'll be moving towards dropping one and going to 2 and so on!:) He's adorable!